Wednesday 20 August 2014

How to Display an Empty Frame in Java

I created the file shown below using vi then compiled it and ran it:

andrew@UBUNTU:~/Java$ cat AndrewsFrame.java
import java.awt.Frame;
public class AndrewsFrame extends Frame
{
public AndrewsFrame()
  {
  super("Andrew's Frame");
  setSize(500,300);
  setVisible(true);
  }
public static void main (String args[])
  {
  AndrewsFrame af = new AndrewsFrame();
  }
}
andrew@UBUNTU:~/Java$ javac AndrewsFrame.java
andrew@UBUNTU:~/Java$ java AndrewsFrame


This displayed the small empty frame shown below. I found that I could move it by dragging and dropping the title bar and minimize and maximize it too. I could also resize it by clicking the edge of the frame and dragging it in the usual way. However, to close the frame, I had to return to the UNIX prompt and type Ctrl+C. I hope to show a better way to do this in a future post. As usual, click on the image to enlarge it and bring it into focus: